Foundation by which to introduce Palliative Care into primary care practices
About these courses
This training will create a foundation for introducing palliative care into the primary care setting earlier in the course of a serious illness. Multiple training sessions have been created and are available to any physician or care team member who would like to attend. The training opportunities are:
- Palliative Care - Optimizing Serious Illness Conversations, Conducting a Comprehensive Assessment and Care Coordination
- This full-day course will cover how to approach and communicate with a person regarding palliative and hospice care services, discuss and honor a person’s wants and wishes for care and help to identify a patient's understanding of their own diagnosis and prognosis Each learner will build upon their skills for engagement training, review the benefits of billing and have an opportunity to practice and solidify components of self-evaluation and awareness.
- It is a 2-part course. The first 2 hours are for the primary care physician, the care manager, and other care team members. The care manager and other care team members will continue the training with approximately 4 additional hours.
- Palliative Care - Cultural Aspects of Care
- This two-hour course will discuss the definitions and importance of inclusion of cultural aspects of the care of patients with serious illness. This course will also include the opportunity to review cultural assessment tools that can be utilized in future clinical practice.
- Palliative Care - Spiritual, Religious and Existential Aspects of Care
- This two-hour course will discuss the definitions and importance of spirituality, religion, and existentialism in the care of patients with serious illness and at the end of life. This course will provide information on assessment tools and conceptual models of practice.
Additionally, several on-demand learning opportunities are available via the link below. These can be viewed at any time.
- Palliative Care Training Overview (PDF) - for the full-day course